5 super easy ways to include turmeric in your daily diet
Turmeric has added taste and color to Asian recipes for centuries, and in recent years it has become popular worldwide. So much so that even coffee-giant Starbucks added a ‘Turmeric Latte’ in their product range recently. While turmeric – also known as Indian saffron - provides a pleasant mild aroma with a similar scent to orange and ginger, it’s the range of science-backed health benefits that have made this spice skyrocket in popularity.
Some of the health benefits linked to diets rich in turmeric include:
The true hero responsible for the plethora of health benefits is curcumin, turmeric’s active ingredient that is best known for its powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Here are 5 super easy and delicious recipes you can try out to enjoy turmeric’s many health benefits.
First, a quick tip: Add black pepper to your turmeric recipes as this will increase the curcumin absorption, making your dishes more bioavailable and even more nutritious!
1. Turmeric tea with honey
How do you like your tea in the morning? If you haven’t tried it with turmeric and honey hold on to your answer. This simple turmeric tea recipe is not only loaded with antioxidant-rich nutrients, but it steams with flavor and aroma.
Ingredients: - 1 or 2 cups of water - 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric (freshly grated is even better) - 1 teaspoon of cinnamon - Pinch of clove - 1 teaspoon of ground ginger (optional) - Honey to taste - Choice of milk (optional).
1) Bring water to boil in a saucepan
2) Add the turmeric along with additional spices (cinnamon, clove and ginger) and simmer for 10 minutes (if you are using fresh turmeric boil for 2-3 minutes extra).
3) Strain the tea into a cup and flavor with milk and honey to your satisfaction.
2. Turmeric milk
This turmeric milk recipe can be enjoyed in many ways. You can drink it hot or allow it to cool, perhaps even add it to your morning cereal. Either way, we’re sure you will enjoy this creamy and nutritious recipe.
Ingredients: - 1 cup milk (coconut milk as a vegan option) - ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric - ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom - a pinch of black pepper - a pinch of ground ginger - a pinch of garlic - a pinch of ground allspice - a drop of vanilla extract - Honey to taste.
1) In a small bowl, whisk the turmeric, cardamom, allspice, ginger, garlic and black pepper
2) Heat up the milk in a saucepan (3-4 minutes) then add the honey and vanilla extract
3) Add and stir the turmeric mixture into the saucepan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir until mixture blends in and becomes smooth (2-3 minutes)
4) Serve by pouring the mixture into a cup through a strainer.
3. Turmeric smoothie with apple and beetroot
This simple smoothie recipe is as flavorsome as it is healthy and is packed with the vitamins and antioxidants your body needs to fight against oxidative stress. The black pepper gives the juice a kick and boosts curcumin’s bioavailability.
Ingredients: - 1 apple - ½ cucumber (120g) - 80g peeled beetroot - 1 tsp ground turmeric - ½ tsp fresh ginger - ½ tsp lemon juice - a pinch of black pepper.
1) Chop the apple, beetroot and cucumber into chunks and place into the juicer
2) Peel and slice the ginger then add to the juicer, along with the turmeric
3) Juice the ingredients (Add some crushed ice to make it even more refreshing).
4) Pour the juice into your glass and add lemon juice and black pepper. Stir well & enjoy.
4. Zesty Turmeric Shots
This small shot packs a big punch! If you’re short on time, hate cooking and are looking for a quick boost then these easy-to-make turmeric shots are for you. They come packed with nutrients important for your immune system as well as anti-inflammatory benefits.
Ingredients: - 1 ½ cups coconut water - Juice of one lemon - 2 teaspoons ground turmeric - 1 tablespoon black pepper.
1) Pour coconut water into a shaker
2) Add the lemon juice to the shaker
3) Throw in the turmeric and black pepper
4) Shake it up and enjoy! Keep refrigerated for 1-2 days.
5. Turmeric supplements
Still looking for an easier way to include turmeric in your daily diet? Then go for turmeric supplements - It can’t get any easier than this! Turmeric supplements provide a convenient way to include the nutritious spice into your everyday diet. In fact, turmeric supplements are packed with even more curcumin and studies have shown impressive health benefits. If you are following a plant-based diet make sure you use vegan-friendly capsules like the ones we use here.
Don’t let time be an excuse for missing out on several key benefits of turmeric.